In a shocking statement, Instagram officials have declared an influencers crisis in Lebanon. “90% of Lebanese Instagram accounts are now business profiles for personal trainers, life coaches, fashionistas, bloggers, vloggers, influencers, and digital media trainers“, said Kevin Systrom, CEO and co-founder of Instagram. The remaining 10% of the accounts are now occupied by regular people who have average bodies and looks, with a bad taste in clothing and restaurant choices. This decline has left influencers with no one to influence now.
“I am barely getting 100 likes per post. It’s frightening to see that all your hard work is not influencing anyone“, Sara, a fashionista from Beirut, who takes photos of herself shopping at Zara and Bershka and posts them to her Instagram page, has told Mawtoura.
Johny, a travel and food blogger who photoshops and saturates all his photos to a point where Lebanon looks like Pandora from Avatar, has also complained about the crisis: “Hotels stopped contacting me and I am not getting free food anymore. I am really afraid I would starve in few weeks.”
Ali, a fitness influencer, had more than 20K followers on Instagram, who eagerly waited his daily selfies at the gym and motivational quotes. “No one cares about my Insta stories anymore. Also, I am running out of google quotes“, he said. Ali is thinking about de-activating his account but he’s worried that his followers might be shocked and depressed later.
Apparently, there’s a mother’s day poster war going on Facebook and Twitter between NoGarlicNoOnions, Kafa, Himaya, DSC and Beirut Food. The original poster was posted by Anthony Rahayel (the blogger behind NoGarlicNoOnions). Honestly, I am siding for him, as the poster is cute and all of us can relate to that wooden spatula.
Da3esh (or pretentiously ISIS) wanted to participate too and they published a poster of their own. check it out.
If Kanye west or his wifey, Kim, thought that the Lebanese cannot have a dress dilemma of their own, maybe they should think again. Last year, Haifa Wehbe’s dress in Star Academy started not only a buzz, but a hurricane, on the social media. Haifaholics (Haifa Alcoholic Fans) are still confused to this moment if her buttocks were a ‘V’ or a ‘M’. It’s pretty confusing to say the least.
The Lebanese Association for Plastic Arts, “Ashkal Alwan” is a non-profit organization based in Jisr el Wati, Beirut. They are organizing a forum on Arabic language and Social media on February 26, 27 and 28. You can check the full schedule here.
On February 28, they are hosting the famous Egyptian puppet, “Abla Fahita” for a show at 8:30 P.M. Abla Fahita is one my favorite satirical youtube/tv characters. She had a “Fawazir” show last Ramadan, as well as she appeared with the renowned Bassem Youssef (Link here), and had a commercial on TV for Vodafone Egypt (link here). Probably, you recognize her from the amazing “Ma yestahloushi” song by the beloved Hassan Shafei. (Youtube video below). At some point, she was accused to be politically affiliated with the Muslim Brothehood in Egypt.
Here’s a compilation of some of her funny tweets, videos and her Music video with Shafei.
Nutella’s christian and Muslim billboards (pictures and post on BlogBaladi) created some buzz on the social media for the past couple of days. While I find it cute to use all kinds of Lebanese names, I don’t think separating the billboards according to religion is quite a good idea. Anywho, I always look at the half full side of the cup, bringing you the 9 funniest/wittiest tweets and Instagram photos about it.